Interpretation of demux.qzv

Hi good day!

I've noticed that the quality plot of my demultiplexed sequences is appearing like a series of dashes and lines without boxplot.

demux.qzv (324.2 KB)

The QIIME2 version I’m using is 2019.10 and the sequences were generated by Novaseq.
May I know does it means my sequences had been quality filtered?
Do I still need to proceed dada2/ deblur?

Thank you!

This doesn't surprise me - the quality profiles for novaseq often look quite different than a miseq run, for example.

Maybe, but the best way to check is to ask your sequencing center.

Most likely, yes - but check with your sequencing center first to see if any quality control or filtering has occurred with these reads - that will impact your decision for DADA2 vs deblur.

:qiime2:

Thank you very much for your reply!

i have checked with my sequencer center, the sequences had not been quality controlled or filtered.

I plan to denoise it using the following parameters:

qiime dada2 denoise-paired
--i-demultiplexed-seqs paired-end-demux.qza
--p-trim-left-f 0
--p-trim-left-r 0
--p-trunc-len-f 183
--p-trunc-len-r 0
--o-table table_dada2.qza
--o-representative-sequences rep-seqs_dada2.qza
--o-denoising-stats stats_dada2.qza

or

qiime dada2 denoise-paired
--i-demultiplexed-seqs paired-end-demux.qza
--p-trim-left-f 0
--p-trim-left-r 0
--p-trunc-len-f 0
--p-trunc-len-r 0
--p-trunc-q 20
--o-table table_dada2-2.qza
--o-representative-sequences rep-seqs_dada2-2.qza
--o-denoising-stats stats_dada2-2.qza

May I know are the parameters I chose are good to go?
Besides, I've come across a forum that discussed about the similar issue as I am facing now and It was recommended to enforce monotonicity in the fitted error model by changing the error model matrix. May I know is this a necessary step?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @pyee0417 - unfortunately there isn’t formal support for NovaSeq data with DADA2, so you are on your own there. As suggested in that post you linked to, your best bet will be to run DADA2 in R. Fortunately you already have DADA2 installed in your QIIME 2 environment.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.