Installing Qiime 2 on Ubuntu 16.04

Hi all,

I’m excited to start using Qiime 2 (as well as this new linux computer), but have had trouble installing it.

In response to:

pip install qiime

I had the error

**Exception:**
**Traceback (most recent call last):**
**  File "/home/greg/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main**
**    status = self.run(options, args)**
**  File "/home/greg/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 342, in run**
**    prefix=options.prefix_path,**
**  File "/home/greg/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 784, in install**
**    **kwargs**
**  File "/home/greg/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 851, in install**
**    self.move_wheel_files(self.source_dir, root=root, prefix=prefix)**
**  File "/home/greg/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 1064, in move_wheel_files**
**    isolated=self.isolated,**
**  File "/home/greg/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 345, in move_wheel_files**
**    clobber(source, lib_dir, True)**
**  File "/home/greg/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 316, in clobber**
**    ensure_dir(destdir)**
**  File "/home/greg/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 83, in ensure_dir**
**    os.makedirs(path)**
**  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs**
**    mkdir(name, mode)**
**OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/natsort'**

For context, I’m using python version 2.7.12 and numpy has already successfully been installed.
I was following the steps here: http://qiime.org/install/alternative.html

This guide warned that Ubuntu may require different dependencies for proper installation, but didn’t prescribe them. So I’m wondering whether any of you have some insight into this and what I might try.

Thanks!

~Greg

Hi @conntrast,
It seems that you’re following the QIIME 1 installation instructions here. If you’re interested in installing QIIME 1, could you please repost your question to the QIIME 1 Forum as this forum is focused exclusively on QIIME 2. If you’re interested in installing QIIME 2, you should follow the install instructions on the QIIME 2 documentation site. Note though that we’re posting a new release of QIIME 2 today, so you should wait until the documentation for QIIME 2 2017.2 goes live before installing so that you get the most recent version. This will most likely happen within the next 12 hours.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes