importing paired end split fastq data

Hi there1

I am very new to bioinformatics and I am analysing datasets from differents studies. I am collecting these datasets from NCBI using SRA toolkit. My reads are paired-end and I have managed to split them, so I have the forward and reverse files.

I am going through the 'Importing files tutorial' and I am thinking I can just replicate the code line given under the demultiplexed Cassava data type. But, to be honest, I have no idea what to do.
image .
any suggestions on how I can go about this?

Also, I have created my metadata table on excel, saving as a tsv document. I became a bit confused when reading the metadata tutorial about the validation, is this the line I will need to use/

Cheers,

Lily

Hi @lilycrook,

I think your best bet for importing the paired end SRA reads is a manifest. Your names do not match the specific casava format, and so rather than trying to make that work, you'll find the manifest easier.

This is just a notice to let you know there's new functionality :confetti_ball: coming soon. It doesn't effect you now, but in the future, you can validate your metadata in the command line rather than having to use Keemei on google sheets - great for anyone who can't upload their metadata to google.

Best,
Justine

2 Likes

Hi Justine,

Thank you for you quick response.
I have created a manifest table on excel and saved as a tab delimited file (txt) containing all the filepaths for my reads.

and this is the code I am trying to use to import the manifest:

qiime tools import
--type 'SampleData[SequencesWithQuality]'
--input-path manifest.txt
--output-path Paired-end-demux.qza
--input-format PairedEndFastqManifestPhred33V2

I have also created a shared folder where I have saved the files folder and the manifest file

and this is what I get from the code above:

Am I in the right path at all?

Cheers,

Lily

Hi @lilycrook,

You’re close! The QIIME command is warning you that it can’t find your arguments. you can fix this by wrapping the command using a \ character. so, your command should look like:

qiime tools import \
–type 'SampleData[SequencesWithQuality]' \
–input-path manifest.txt \
–output-path Paired-end-demux.qza \
–input-format PairedEndFastqManifestPhred33V2

Another piece of (entirely unsolicited) advice: if. you replace the spaces ( ) in your file paths with dashes (-) or underscores (_), it will make it easier to navigate on your linux system. Linux parses spaces as part of commands rather than a filepath. It wont affect the import, but it will make things harder later.

Best,
Justine

Thank you Justine, I have taken up on your advice and changed the file paths, and it seems to have worked, however I am getting a different error now, which I am not sure what it means.

Could you help me out, please?

Cheers,

Lily

Hi @lilycrook,

It looks like both you and I missed something. The semantic type, SampleData[SequencesWithQuality] is only forward reads. I think you need SampleData[PairedEndSequencesWithQuality].

Best,
Justine

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.