How to generate metadata.yml file?

Hi everyone

I am new to Qiime2 and trying to run the import command with “SampleData[PairedEndSequencesWithQuality]”.
I am getting following error - "Missing one or more files for SingleLanePerSamplePairedEndFastqDirFmt: ‘metadata.yml’ "

May I know how to generate .yml file associated with my metadata. I have metadata in .tsv format.
Please help me!!
Thanks

Hi @amoltej! Please see the importing data tutorial for instructions. Let us know if you have any further questions after you have reviewed that material. Thanks!

Thanks for reply. But I went through tutorial again and again… But there is no reference to .yml file anywhere in the tutorial. Yet Qiime2 asks for this file to be present during importing. and it does not accept other file format for metadata.

Hi @amoltej, please carefully review the documentation I linked you to earlier.

Correct, if you carefully review the documentation you will hopefully see that this file is not necessary.

Hi @thermokarst thanks for reply.
somehow I could not track that down. not sure why I could not track it down.
but I found another way to get it done.
You can convert your .csv file in to .yml format from this website - http://www.convertcsv.com/csv-to-yaml.htm

and provide that file as metadata.yml and that solves the problem.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing @amoltej. In the future, I recommend you just use the manifest format or the Casava format, either of those options are easy, and neither require the creation of this hidden yaml file (QIIME 2 uses this file behind the scenes as a sort of “phone book”, but it is never necessary for a user to create that themselves).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.