Do I need to download Linux on Mac to use qiime2?

Can I use qiime 2 for sequenced de-multiplexed data without downloading Linux? and what is the storage size of Linux?

Thanks

2 Likes

No, QIIME2 is supported on MacOSX through conda environments. Ben

3 Likes

https://docs.qiime2.org/2019.7/install/native/

Run these commands in terminal, you have to be at least an admin to install it. Ben

2 Likes

what this mean please? I downloaded and installed qiime on mac. opened the terminal and run and dragged the file into terminal. Now, how to start using qiime?

2 Likes

Install Miniconda first - once conda is installed, all you need to do is copy/paste those commands from the website. Ben

2 Likes

You don't have to be admin to do a single-user conda installation. You might need to have admin privileges to get brew to wget, but you can curl or downloaded the necessary files without wget on a mac. So, as long as you can get the files onto your machine, you're good to go.

3 Likes

Have you looked at the the tutorials yet? There's a pretty comprehensive description of QIIME, a basic workflow, and how to run it there.

Best,
Justine

3 Likes

thanks, I looked and they don’t have videos. it is hard for me as non-programmer but will look at them in-depth.

1 Like

Hi I am Very new to programming so sorry for the basic questions. I installed qiime on my Mac. Now, I have a file (appears green on docks) and a folder has :
install, read me, scripts, and macqiime files. I have no idea if I am set or I need still to download conda.

qiime%20folder Qiime%20download

2 Likes

Hi @HebaHussein-1981,

That looks like MacQiime v. 1.9.1. That version was deprecated in 2018.

My recommendation woudl be to follow the install instructions. Since you’re working on a Mac and can have a native installation, that is the route I would take.

In general, the instructions are a good place to start in this field and with this software specifically. A lot of it is typing which can be boring to watch on a computer screen, but is nice to be able to look at, copy, and paste at your leisure.

Best,
Justine

3 Likes

No programming required!

To simplify the steps:

1. Download Miniconda here: https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/miniconda.html
    (grab the python 3.6 version)

2. Install Miniconda

3. Then open terminal window, follow the steps to install qiime2 on the install instructions that @jwdebelius linked

edit: If you are in a hard spot, you will need the help of someone with some Unix/Linux command line experience. This by far, is probably the best skill needed to navigate CLI QIIME2.

3 Likes

thanks shall i choose bash or pkg? attached screenshot and the difference

1 Like

Pkg, unless you know how to execute bash files! Ben

2 Likes

thanks I installed miniconda pkg and tried to install qiime 2 but got this error in picture. also, I donw know what environment mean . lastly, it seems my terminal says bash from old anaconda I had and I do not know how to delete the terminal and install new one. invalid%20name

1 Like

you need to install “wget”, I would recommend you do that and then rerun. Ben

edit: There is a way through “home-brew” which is a package installer which are missing in MacOSX - https://brew.sh

2 Likes

Thanks I think I installed qiime although I tried to run code to test installation but got this message. activate

2 Likes

so close, but type “conda activate qiime2-2019.7” without the quotation marks. Ben

2 Likes

2 Likes

You got the newest version of Qiime installed!

Well done!

Colin

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.