Diversity alpha-group significance, error: only numeric data is present in metafile

Hello. I have already successfully run alpha group-significance analysis with all of my data but I wanted to try running the same analysis with different segments of my data (only looking at certain days of the experiment) by using a filtered metadata file. I tried the command below to look at only days 2, 4, 6 and got the error message: "Plugin error from diversity: Only numeric data is present in metadata file."

I have attached my metadata file. Would you please let me know what I am doing wrong?

metadata_Exper.Day2-6.txt (337 Bytes)

qiime diversity alpha-group-significance
--i-alpha-diversity core-metrics-result/faith_pd_vector.qza
--m-metadata-file metadata_Exper.Day2-6.txt
--o-visualization core-metrics-result/faith-pd-group-significance_Day2to6.qzv

HI @Lisa_Crummett,

The error message says it all:

Your metadata file only contains numeric data. alpha-group-significance is for comparing categorical data groups. Try alpha-correlation instead.

Good luck!

Hi Nicholas,

My data IS categorical, it is just coded with numerical values representing the different groups. I will change it to string values.

Thank you,
Lisa

Ah I see. If you want to keep that encoding, you can specify whether those columns should be interpreted at numeric or categorical.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.