Data importing error

Dear all,
I have gone through the qiime 2 tutorials and I have transitioned from qiime1 to qiime2. I am analyzing amplicon data generated using the illumina miseq. The illumina miseq provided the forward reads and reverse reads but not the barcodes.fastq.gz file. The barcodes file has been generated using the extract_barcodes.py script.
So having the three input files for qiime2, I ran the first command, where I am experiencing the following error. I need help

qiime tools import --type EMPPairedEndSequences --input-path paired-end-sequences --output-path paired-end-sequences.qza

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/q2cli/tools.py”, line 116, in import_data
view_type=source_format)
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/result.py”, line 214, in import_data
return cls.from_view(type, view, view_type, provenance_capture)
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/result.py”, line 239, in _from_view
result = transformation(view)
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/core/transform.py”, line 57, in transformation
self.validate(view)
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/core/transform.py”, line 131, in validate
view.validate(‘min’)
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/plugin/model/directory_format.py”, line 171, in validate
getattr(self, field)._validate_members(collected_paths, level)
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/plugin/model/directory_format.py”, line 101, in _validate_members
self.format(path, mode=‘r’).validate(level)
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/plugin/model/file_format.py”, line 24, in validate
self.validate(level)
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/q2_types/per_sample_sequences/_format.py”, line 159, in validate
self._check_n_records(record_count_map[level])
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/q2_types/per_sample_sequences/_format.py”, line 119, in check_n_records
for i, record in file
:
File “/home/aarti/anaconda2/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/encodings/ascii.py”, line 26, in decode
return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t decode byte 0x8b in position 513: ordinal not in range(128)

An unexpected error has occurred:

‘ascii’ codec can’t decode byte 0x8b in position 513: ordinal not in range(128)

See above for debug info.

Hey there @Aarti_Darra!

Congrats! :champagne:

This looks like the encoding of your files is perhaps the source of this error.

What does it say when you run:

file paired-end-sequences/forward.fastq.gz

As well, if you unzip one of those files and run the file command on it, what does it say then?

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.