DADA2: An error was encountered while running DADA2 in R. Filtering The filter removed all reads...

Hello everyone,

I am working with paired-end sequences of 16S V3-V4 region (341F/805R primers) from lake samples (Illumina MiSeq). I have removed primers from the sequences using cutadapt software

antartida-paired-end.cutadapt.qzv (291.9 KB)

After that, I have run DADA2 in order to denoise sequences and I obtained the following error (commands):

qiime dada2 denoise-paired
--i-demultiplexed-seqs antartida-paired-end.cutadapt.qza
--p-trim-left-f 0
--p-trunc-len-f 290
--p-trim-left-r 0
--p-trunc-len-r 290
--o-representative-sequences rep-seq-antartida.cutadapted.qza
--o-table table-antartida.cutadapted.qza
--o-denoising-stats stats-dada2.antartida.cutadapted.qza
--verbose

Running external command line application(s). This may print messages to stdout and/or stderr.
The command(s) being run are below. These commands cannot be manually re-run as they will depend on temporary files that no longer exist.

Command: run_dada_paired.R /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/forward /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/reverse /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/output.tsv.biom /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/track.tsv /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_f /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_r 290 290 0 0 2.0 2 consensus 1.0 1 1000000

R version 3.4.1 (2017-06-30)
Loading required package: Rcpp
DADA2 R package version: 1.6.0

1. Filtering The filter removed all reads: /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_f/91_0_L001_R1_001.fastq.gz and /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_r/91_1_L001_R2_001.fastq.gz not written.
    The filter removed all reads: /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_f/A2_2_L001_R1_001.fastq.gz and /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_r/A2_3_L001_R2_001.fastq.gz not written.
    The filter removed all reads: /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_f/C1_4_L001_R1_001.fastq.gz and /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_r/C1_5_L001_R2_001.fastq.gz not written.
    The filter removed all reads: /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_f/DNA_10_L001_R1_001.fastq.gz and /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_r/DNA_11_L001_R2_001.fastq.gz not written.
    The filter removed all reads: /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_f/Q_12_L001_R1_001.fastq.gz and /tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_r/Q_13_L001_R2_001.fastq.gz not written.
    Some input samples had no reads pass the filter.
    xxx..xx

2. Learning Error Rates
    2a) Forward Reads
    Initializing error rates to maximum possible estimate.
    Sample 1 - 1 reads in 1 unique sequences.
    Sample 2 - 1 reads in 1 unique sequences.
    selfConsist step 2
    Convergence after 2 rounds.
    2b) Reverse Reads
    Initializing error rates to maximum possible estimate.
    Sample 1 - 1 reads in 1 unique sequences.
    Sample 2 - 1 reads in 1 unique sequences.
    selfConsist step 2
    Convergence after 2 rounds.

3. Denoise remaining samples

4. Remove chimeras (method = consensus)
    Error in isBimeraDenovoTable(unqs[[i]], ..., verbose = verbose) :
    Input must be a valid sequence table.
    Calls: removeBimeraDenovo -> isBimeraDenovoTable
    Además: Warning message:
    In is.na(colnames(unqs[[i]])) :
    is.na() aplicado a un objeto que no es (lista o vector) de tipo 'NULL
    EjecuciĂłn interrumpida
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/guille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2_dada2/_denoise.py", line 231, in denoise_paired
    run_commands([cmd])
    File "/home/guille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2_dada2/_denoise.py", line 36, in run_commands
    subprocess.run(cmd, check=True)
    File "/home/guille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.1/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 418, in run
    output=stdout, stderr=stderr)
    subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['run_dada_paired.R', '/tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/forward', '/tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/reverse', '/tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/output.tsv.biom', '/tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/track.tsv', '/tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_f', '/tmp/tmpggjcg2sa/filt_r', '290', '290', '0', '0', '2.0', '2', 'consensus', '1.0', '1', '1000000']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/guille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2cli/commands.py", line 274, in call
results = action(**arguments)
File "</home/guille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/decorator.py:decorator-gen-442>", line 2, in denoise_paired
File "/home/guille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py", line 231, in bound_callable
output_types, provenance)
File "/home/guille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py", line 365, in callable_executor
output_views = self._callable(**view_args)
File "/home/guille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2_dada2/_denoise.py", line 246, in denoise_paired
" and stderr to learn more." % e.returncode)
Exception: An error was encountered while running DADA2 in R (return code 1), please inspect stdout and stderr to learn more.

Plugin error from dada2:

An error was encountered while running DADA2 in R (return code 1), please inspect stdout and stderr to learn more.

See above for debug info.

It seems that there is a problem with my sequences because the filter removed alls reads in all samples. I have tested DADA2 denoising step in sequences prior primer trimming with cutadapt and it worked. I dont know where is the error. Anybody could help me? I use QIIME2 2019.1 in a linux mint distro. Thank you in advance.

Guille

Hi @mi_metodo,
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for providing your quality plots, If you hover over your reads beyond the 284 and 278 bp in your forward and reverse sequences, respectively, you’ll see that the # of reads available drops drastically. This suggests that almost all of your sequences are shorter than the 290 truncating length you’ve included in your dada2 parameters. Dada2 is trying to cut your sequences to 290 and then discard those that are shorter, which in your case is almost all of your samples. Therefore barely any reads remain for it to actual denoise.
Try reducing your truncating parameters to something shorter like 270 and see how that plays out.
Keep us posted!

2 Likes

Hello @Mehrbod_Estaki.

Thanks for your help. I could explore the data and I chose 270 bp as trunc-len parameter as you suggested. Now the denoising step is working as you can see in the picture below!!!

Thank you for your help again!!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.