Cutadapt for linker and primer

Hi there, I have these pair of linker and primers in the demultiplexed files that I downloaded from the sequencing center.

341F - Illumina linker - 5’-TCGTCGGCAGCGTCAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG-3’ native primer 5’-CCTACGGGNGGCWGCAG-3’
Full sequence 5’-TCGTCGGCAGCGTCAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAGCCTACGGGNGGCWGCAG-3’

806wR - Illumina linker - 5’-GTCTCGTGGGCTCGGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG-3’ native primer 5’-GACTACHVGGGTWTCTAATCC-3’
Full sequence 5’-GTCTCGTGGGCTCGGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAGGACTACHVGGGTWTCTAATCC-3’
I have used following commands for cutadapt using the full sequence:
qiime cutadapt trim-paired
–i-demultiplexed-sequences paired-end-demux.qza
–p-front-f TCGTCGGCAGCGTCAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAGCCTACGGGNGGCWGCAG
–p-front-r GTCTCGTGGGCTCGGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAGGACTACHVGGGTWTCTAATCC
–o-trimmed-sequences paired-end-demux-trimmed.qza

However, when I use this trimmed.qza file for subsequent dada2 denoising step, I get extremely low percentage of passed filter and other outputs. Can you guys help me out here?
Thanks
MAN

Please read the following before posting!

Is this post about a User Support Question? Those include questions about specific results while running QIIME 2, warnings observed while running a QIIME 2 command. Please do not post questions here that have to do with interpretation of results, general discussion, or technical support.

Before posting, please make sure you have the following information available, in order for us to help you in a timely manner:

• Have you searched for the problem on the forum? It is rare that we see a new question asked, so make sure you do your homework before asking for us to commit our time to helping you.
  • Have you reviewed the QIIME 2 Forum Glossary?
  • Version of QIIME 2 you are running, and how it is installed (e.g. Virtualbox, conda, etc.)
  • What is the exact command or commands you ran? Copy and paste please.
  • What is the exact error message, if applicable? If you didn’t run the command with the --verbose flag, please re-run and copy-and-paste the results.

Hi @Man,

The issue is that you are feeding the entire construct into cutadapt, when you should only be providing the PCR primer sequences. Here is a related forum post that should help:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.