Create demux.qza from provided merged and trimmed paired-end files

Hello. I have received fastq files which are demultiplexed and have already been trimmed and merged (originally paired-end). Is there a qiime2 command which I can use to create the demux.qza? I tried the cassava single lane command but I’m presuming it expects only a forward sequence.

Please let me know if I can add any clarity to my question.

Thank you.

Hello!

One option would be to import this data as if it was forward reads, by using the fastq-manifest-format.

Another option would be to get the original raw files, and perform the pairing and quality directly inside of Qiime.

Colin

Just to add on to that, set the --type to SampleData[JoinedSequencesWithQuality], it can be used with any of the single-end formats (casava or manifest-style) since the representation is the same.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Using the following qiime casava command…

qiime tools import
–type ‘SampleData[JoinedSequencesWithQuality]’
–input-path /media/sequences
–source-format CasavaOneEightSingleLanePerSampleDirFmt
–output-path /media/sequences/demux-joined.qza

I received the following error…
There was a problem importing /media/sequences:

Missing one or more files for CasavaOneEightSingleLanePerSampleDirFmt: ‘.+_.+_L[0-9][0-9][0-9]_R[12]_001\.fastq\.gz’

My preference would be to use casava. I’m not certain how to troubleshoot from here, so any direction would be appreciated.

Hello. I just realized that I may need a manifest file in order to use casava with joined fastq files I researched manifest file formats and could only find the following example format. If this is the correct format, both the forward and reverse sequences map to the the sample-id which seems correct. Where would I place the manifest file designation in the casava format? Thank you!

sample-id,absolute-filepath,direction
AFF3G,/mnt/lustre/hall/mlo1011/qiime_practice/16s_raw_practice/AFF3G_TCCAAAGTGTTC_L001_R1_001.fastq.gz,forward
AFF3G,/mnt/lustre/hall/mlo1011/qiime_practice/16s_raw_practice/AFF3G_TCCAAAGTGTTC_L001_R3_001.fastq.gz,reverse

Yes, as @colinbrislawn and @ebolyen advised above, you should use a manifest file. I am re-sharing the link that Colin originally posted:
https://docs.qiime2.org/2018.4/tutorials/importing/#fastq-manifest-formats

It looks like you have written out an example of a manifest file for paired-end reads. Save to a text file, let's call it pe-64-manifest. Then import with this command:

qiime tools import \
  --type 'SampleData[PairedEndSequencesWithQuality]' \
  --input-path pe-64-manifest \
  --output-path paired-end-demux.qza \
  --source-format PairedEndFastqManifestPhred64

Note that I have specified as paired-end data, because it looks like you list the paired-end reads in your manifest file. If you do want to use the trimmed/joined reads as you originally declared, you can follow the import instructions given here.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.