Can't install qiime2-2021.11 with conda on Linux computing cluster or WSL Ubuntu

I've been desperately trying to get qiime2-2021-11 working so I can use the picrust2 plugin, but I can't seem to get it to work. Basically, I have tried to install qiime2-2021-11 on a Linux computing cluster and WSL2 with Ubuntu or Debian; every time it invariably fails to solve the environment with a long list of conflicts. I also tried using the qiime2-2021.11 VB, hoping that at least with the qiime2 environment already installed all I had to do was to get picrust2 working, and that should be easy. Unfortunately, it was not, in fact, easy. This also stalled while solving the environment. I then tried to install manually, per the picrust2 plugin tutorial. This also stalled. I gave them all several hours, but all failed with a very long list of conflicts: unfortunately, I haven't saved them lately, although I can re-run the whole thing, wait a few hours, and see which errors it gives me if needed.

I made some headway when I found a suggestion to install mamba in my base conda environment ( ```
conda install -n base -c conda-forge mamba). This at least failed quickly. It still failed, though, and gave me the following error message:

Could not solve for environment specs
Encountered problems while solving:

• package libglib-2.70.1-h174f98d_0 requires libffi >=3.4.2,<3.5.0a0, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package perl-list-moreutils-0.413-1 requires perl >=5.22.0,<5.23.0, but none of the providers can be installed

The environment can't be solved, aborting the operation

I've tried rolling back to previous versions of miniconda, I've tried updating to current, I've tried mamba, I've tried two different distros within WSL2 and on my institution's Linux computing cluster and the qiime2-2021.11 VB. This issue is following me everywhere and I don't know how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Hello,

I've encountered the same problem installing older release and I was not able to solve it. For some reason, this packages aren't available for the download from conda.

Unfortunately, maintaining backwards compatibility with that amount of libraries is hard. Especially when certain libraries aren't actively maintained.

Please, use the latest QIIME2 version and standalone picrust2 software. Make predictions and import data as Artifact FeatureData[Frequency] later.

Cheers,
V

2 Likes

Thanks! It's good to know that at least it's not just me.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.