'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x8b in position 1537: ordinal not in range(128)

Hi everyone,

I tried to import my data and got this error below, any idea what could be wrong?

$ qiime tools import --type 'SampleData[PairedEndSequencesWithQuality]' --input-path MANIFEST.txt --output-path qza/step1_imported --input-format PairedEndFastqManifestPhred33V2

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2cli/builtin/tools.py", line 154, in import_data
view_type=input_format)
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/result.py", line 241, in import_data
validate_level='max')
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/result.py", line 267, in _from_view
result = transformation(view, validate_level)
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/core/transform.py", line 73, in transformation
other.validate(new_view)
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/core/transform.py", line 143, in validate
view.validate(level)
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/plugin/model/directory_format.py", line 171, in validate
getattr(self, field)._validate_members(collected_paths, level)
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/plugin/model/directory_format.py", line 101, in _validate_members
self.format(path, mode='r').validate(level)
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/plugin/model/file_format.py", line 24, in validate
self.validate(level)
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2_types/per_sample_sequences/_format.py", line 279, in validate
self._check_n_records(record_count_map[level])
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2_types/per_sample_sequences/_format.py", line 239, in check_n_records
for i, record in file
:
File "/home/camille/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode
return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x8b in position 1537: ordinal not in range(128)

An unexpected error has occurred:

'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x8b in position 1537: ordinal not in range(128)

See above for debug info.

@cvleal,

It looks like you are running an older version of QIIME 2, can you update to QIIME 2 2022.2 and give it another try?

I think this is likely due to one of your files not being in the correct compressed/uncompressed state or being corrupt, which we can work through, but let's try the easy thing first!

Thank you for the answer Keegan-Evans.

I was using an old version of the Qiime 2, but I update to the last version and I still have the same problem.

1 Like

I identified the corrupted file. And now it works.

Thank you,
Camille

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.