Alpha Group Significance Error

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to run the alpha diversity group significance and get the following error:
'Plugin error from diversity:

Metadata does not contain any columns that satisfy this visualizer's requirements. There must be at least one metadata column that contains categorical data, isn't empty, doesn't consist of unique values, and doesn't consist of exactly one value.

Debug info has been saved to /tmp/qiime2-q2cli-err-an2jm5b8.log'

This is my table.qvz file. I've set the sampling depth at 50.
52%20PM

Thank you!

Hi there @bye_ology!

This method is all about regrouping samples into categories relevant to your study - control vs treatment, before/after intervention, etc. What that error is saying is that none of your metadata values were able to create groups with more than sample in it.

Yikes, that is super low, but isn't the issue here (also, you could rarefy at 63, which would keep the same samples, but would buy you a little more depth...).

Can you provide a sample of your metadata file? Thanks! :t_rex: :qiime2:

Hi Matthew! I've set my sample depth super low because I was testing different trim lengths with deblur and was using a very high number. I've also attached my metadata to this reply. Thank you so much!

sample-metadata.tsv (598 Bytes)

1 Like

Thanks @bye_ology!

Let's take a closer look at your metadata:

The error message stated:

There must be at least one metadata column that contains categorical data, isn’t empty, doesn’t consist of unique values, and doesn’t consist of exactly one value.

So, looking at the metadata columns, none of your categorical columns meet those minimum requirements: they are all either entirely unique or entirely identical values. Does that make sense? There is nothing to regroup by here. Hope that helps! :t_rex:

Thanks @thermokarst! You’re a gem :grin:

1 Like